Explain.co.za is seeking for a full-time editor who is passionate about making news accessible and understandable.
The ideal candidate is passionate about making news accessible and understandable, enjoys mentoring reporters and is up for a challenge. The successful candidate will have much free rein and a growing set of resources at his or her disposal.
Explain.co.za is a media organisation passionate about helping people understand the news and creating solutions-focused journalism which inspires hope and action.
Closing date: 14 November 2022
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa.
1. A degree or diploma in journalism or a related field. An exception will be made for the right candidate.
2. Five to seven years of reporting experience within a newsroom. Subediting can also count, but some boots-on-the-ground reporting experience would be good.
3. Additional management experience within a newsroom, managing other journalists, freelancers, or a section.
4. Some subbing or copy-editing experience, particularly crafting good headlines and social media posts to punt the news we produce.
5. Being comfortable in the digital medium. However, the primary priority for the right candidate is a first-rate handle on reporting and writing, along with journalism ethics.
6. A passion for growing an audience-centred news product to reach as many people as possible with helpful and rigorously-reported journalism.
1. The editor is responsible for all editorial functions of explain.co.za, overseeing the projects and staff as part of that division and reporting to the MD.
2. Managing our reporters and freelancers, and ensuring that we deliver top-quality news and content across all our platforms.
3. Working with the MD to develop a fast news strategy and overseeing reporters and freelancers to achieve this strategy.
4. Overseeing explain.co.za’s award-winning weekly wrap along with the rest of the team and working with the MD on the ongoing strategy around the wrap.
5. Assisting with commercialisation, audience growth, and hiring and growing your department as your budget grows.
6. Taking the lead on special editorial projects, including sponsored content/packages, special election reports, etc.
To apply, interested candidates should click here
I am Chinweuba Michael Tochi, a brand designing specialist that focuses on graphic and website designs. I am also a proficient digital marketer, photographer and a graduate of Biochemistry from one of the most prestigious private universities in Nigeria.