Naija News is looking for a news reporter with a solid editorial and journalistic background who will research, monitor, fact-check and write news stories. with the Naija News audience in mind.
The ideal candidate is expected to have a knack for breaking down complex topics to make them interesting, relatable and easy to understand.
Naija News is an independent digital news organisation published by Polance Media Limited.
Location: Lagos / Remote
Closing date: Rolling
1. Collect, verify, fact-check and analyze newsworthy information thoroughly
2. Create and deliver news stories (article, video and/or social posts) with the audience’s perspective in mind
3. Proofread your work to detect and correct errors in spelling, punctuation, grammar, etc.
4. Work on assignments and investigate news leads/tips
5. Contact, interview and research sources
6. Maintain notes and audio/video recordings
7. Collaborate with other reporters, video editors, social media managers, producers etc
8. Stay up-to-date with the latest current events by properly monitoring news, attending events and building contacts and sources for use in future stories
9. Attend press conferences, events, and file reports in a timely manner
10. Develop and publish weekly reviews, opinion pieces and reports
11. Edit and/or assist in editing and proofreading stories as assigned
12. Ensure accuracy and consistency with the Naija News brand voice, and adherence to the Naija News content framework
13. Ensure published stories are fully compliant with copyright laws and are not plagiarised
14. Actively contribute to the success of the content team by developing story ideas, sourcing exclusive stories, and making other innovative suggestions
15. Actively identify, suggest and implement strategies to increase the readership and reach of Naija News
16. Stay keyed into trends and the competitive landscape to ensure that Naija News as a media brand is always ahead of the curve
17. Abide by the core principles of journalism, the code of ethics for Nigerian journalists, as well as worldwide journalistic ethics and standards.
1. At least two years’ experience covering/ writing news, current affairs and politics for a digital publication
2. Minimum BA/BSc/HND.
3. Great networking skills to source news stories and secure interviews
4. Passion for producing exclusive stories with deep analysis
5. Excellent written and verbal communication skills
6. Good knowledge of Google Workspace – docs, sheets, drive, slides, etc.
To apply, interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume and at least 5 samples of your work to firstname.lastname@example.org
I am Chinweuba Michael Tochi, a brand designing specialist that focuses on graphic and website designs. I am also a proficient digital marketer, photographer and a graduate of Biochemistry from one of the most prestigious private universities in Nigeria.