Rest of World is accepting applications for an energetic, enterprising and experienced regional editor to lead its coverage of Africa.
The ideal candidate will be someone who has significant experience editing stories from across the continent, ideally with some background reporting on technology, business and economics in the region.
The editor will be deeply curious about the world, tenacious and thorough in their approach to uncovering a good story or telling detail, and someone who can manage a group of local contributors.
The role will be the creative engine for determining how Rest of World cover Africa and will be tasked with a mix of editing, reporting and collaborating with editors in Hong Kong, London, and New York.
Rest of World is an international journalism publication that’s focused on exploring the impact of technology beyond the Western bubble. Rest of World goal is to surface and showcase the often surprising and unintended effects of tech in places that get little attention from mainstream global news outlets.
Closing date: 15th September 2022
Location: Remote, Africa
Remuneration: Competitive salary (with a raise, promotion and merit bonus framework based on performance and tenure)
1. Pitching, reporting and editing stories about global technology issues in the region.
2. Generating ideas for ambitious features and helping us pull them off, either as a writer or editor.
3. Managing, recruiting and editing the work of contributors across Africa.
4. Making regular contact with the tech community, entrepreneurs, activists, tech users and policymakers in the region.
1. At least 7 years experience in journalism or publishing, with at least 3 years in editing
2. Fluency in English is required. Language skills that allow working with local reporters are a major plus
3. Willingness to travel within the region
4. Experience reporting on business or tech preferred
5. A serious desire to bring new information into the world and an obsession with telling great stories
6. Experience managing journalists is preferred
7. A strong work ethic, comfort with startup conditions, a motivated self-starter
8. Collaborative, enjoys working in teams with different disciplines and learning from others
To apply, please send a resume and a short cover letter to both firstname.lastname@example.org and jobs@TakeTheDiversityPledge.org with “Africa editor” in the subject line.
In your cover letter, share three stories you have edited, describe your role in shaping them and tell us what you will do differently this time.
For more information on the requirements and qualifications, click here
I am Chinweuba Michael Tochi, a brand designing specialist that focuses on graphic and website designs. I am also a proficient digital marketer, photographer and a graduate of Biochemistry from one of the most prestigious private universities in Nigeria.