Semafor Africa is accepting applications to fill the full time position of an energetic reporter to cover East Africa based in Kenya.
The ideal candidate will have the instincts and sources to break news and deliver distinctive exclusive coverage of politics, business, economics, technology, culture, and much more.
This role calls for first-rate sourcing and access to the region’s most powerful players in business, tech, policy and government. The successful candidate will be part of a team delivering regular insights to Semafor’s audience through newsletters, the web, video, and in-person events.
The successful candidate will work with the editor and managing editor of Semafor Africa.
Semafor is a global news platform for an increasingly complex world in which consumers are overwhelmed by too many news sources and unsure what to trust/
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Closing date: 07 September 2022
- Cover East African politics, business and economic news daily with exclusives and insights
- Identify broader political, business and economic trends across east Africa as they develop
- Cultivate sources that will enable the regular reporting of scoops
- Have an ability to write quickly and accurately with valuable insights for both an East African and global audience
- Collaborate closely with our video and events teams to work seamlessly across all Semafor platforms
- Five or more years of relevant journalism experience
- Proven understanding of how stories spread online, and experience writing elegantly for large online audiences on tight deadlines
- A strategic, sophisticated approach to explaining and connecting the dots across pan-African stories
- A broad reading list across conventional and unconventional sources
- Eagerness to be part of a dynamic work environment demanding initiative, flexibility, and a willingness to jump in wherever needed to help the team succeed
- Insatiably curious about how various African countries work
- Willing to travel at the drop of a hat when news opportunities happen
To apply, interested candidates should click here.