Semafor is seeking an ambitious reporter to fill a full-time contract position to cover southern Africa with a particular focus on South Africa.
The ideal candidate will have the instincts and sources to provide distinctive coverage of politics, business, economics, science, and technology, delivering a steady stream of exclusives and deep insights.
The role requires a self-starter with a deep knowledge of a range of issues, from the ANC’s internal factions to the business trends that underpin Africa’s most developed economy to maintaining high level sources among key politicians, policymakers, academic, and business leaders will be key.
The reporter must have a passion for scoops along with the ability to tell stories clearly and quickly. The successful candidate will be part of a team delivering regular insights to Semafor’s audience through our newsletters, the web, video, and in-person events. They will report to the editor and managing editor of Semafor Africa.
Semafor is a global news platform for an increasingly complex world in which consumers are overwhelmed by too many news sources and unsure what to trust.
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Closing Date: 07, September, 2022
- Cover regional politics, business and economic news daily with exclusives and insights
- Cultivate sources that will enable the regular reporting of scoops
- Have an ability to write quickly and accurately with valuable insights for both a southern African and global audience
- Collaborate closely with the video and events team to work seamlessly across all Semafor platforms
- Five or more years of relevant journalism experience
- The ability to quickly understand and concisely summarize information on a broad range of topics with tight deadlines
- Proven understanding of how stories spread online, and experience writing for large online audiences
- A strategic, sophisticated approach to identifying breaking news across different issues, storylines, and geographies and an ability to connect on wider pan-African trends
- A broad reading list across conventional and unconventional sources
- Eagerness to be part of a dynamic work environment demanding initiative, flexibility, and a willingness to jump in wherever needed to help the team succeed
To apply, interested candidates should click here