The Associated Press (AP) seeks a reporter to join its newsroom team in Dakar, Senegal, reporting to the West Africa AP bureau chief.
In this role, the successful candidate will be responsible for original reporting of major spot news developments in West Africa. As a member of a dynamic, round-the-clock operation, you will work in close collaboration with staff in photos and video in Africa and around the world to produce a competitive and comprehensive all-formats news report.
The Associated Press is an independent global news organization dedicated to factual reporting. Founded in 1846, AP today remains a trusted source of fast, accurate, unbiased news in all formats and the essential provider of the technology and services vital to the news business.
Deadline: 27 September 2022
Location: Dakar, Senegal
1. Reporting of major spot news developments in West Africa.
2. Consistently break news and produce distinct, deeply reported enterprise on topics ranging from the Islamic insurgency in the Sahel to the rise in regional military coups.
3. Work in close collaboration with staff in photos and video in Africa and around the world to produce a competitive and comprehensive all-formats news report.
4. Communicate stories that people will want to share on social media.
5. Collaborate with the diverse team of journalists at the AP who operate in all formats – text, photo, video, audio, digital/social, interactive and graphics – to deliver spot news and enterprise coverage that breaks news, has impact and is exclusive to AP.
6. Pursue innovative and inclusive coverage strategies while maintaining AP’s standards for integrity and objectivity
7. Ability and willingness to work any shift – including at night and on weekends – as coverage demands, as AP is a 24/7 operation.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or equivalent experience
- Must be able to work in Senegal or be able to gain permission to do so
- Advanced-level professional competency in written and spoken English.
- Professional competency in French including the ability to translate new stories.
- Ability to work in challenging news environments in developing countries
- Basic proficiency in using an iPhone for photos and video is required.
- Advanced proficiency is a plus.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and planning skills, with the ability to juggle multiple projects across formats and deliver success on complex, challenging story lines.
- Adherence to all company Covid-19 workplace safety policies and protocols, including providing proof of Covid-19 vaccination in accordance with applicable laws.
For more information and to apply, interested candidates should click here
I am Chinweuba Michael Tochi, a brand designing specialist that focuses on graphic and website designs. I am also a proficient digital marketer, photographer and a graduate of Biochemistry from one of the most prestigious private universities in Nigeria.